Sunday, August 11, 2013

Whirligig by Paul Fleischman Book Review


Book Title: Whirligig
Author: Paul Fleischman
Genre: Realistic Fiction
Date of Publication: 1998

Summary:
      Brent Bishop is sent to the four corners of the country in order to make amends for a bad decision. His Herculean task--- to create four whirligigs and place them in Maine, Florida, California, and Washington.  His wind-operated toys inspire others and bring hope to four people who find solace in their comfort.


What did you like about the book? What did you dislike?
               Likes: The story, pieced together through the eyes of those who find the whirligigs, is cemented by Brent, a teenager struggling with his conscience. The voice that Fleischmann breaths into his character is realistic and current. With so many students struggling to fit in I think many of my students would connect with Brent’s need to feel accepted.
               Dislikes: The drinking scenes might be a bit young for my 7th grade readers, but it is appropriate for a young adult audience.  

How could I use this book in the classroom?
       Making Connections (p. 5-10): Start on the bottom of page 5 “Write down where you’ll be,” said his mother.  End at “It was Chaz.” On page 10.
o   Think Aloud: Stop at the top of page 7. To understand Brent’s behavior I have to make a text-to-self-connection. I know that when I’m new to a group I want to try to fit in. To fit in I usually wear clothes similar to what the others wear, listen to the same music, etc so that I can make friends more easily. I bet Brent is pretty nervous and doesn’t know what to do since he can’t sit still and can’t decide what to wear.  He’s pretty self-conscience. Stop on page 10. To understand Brent’s frustration and anger I’m going to have to make a text-to-self connection. I know that Brent was very nervous about going to the party and had taken a lot of time picking out his clothes. Then, his friend forgot to tell him about the dress code. After all the time he spent trying to fit in, he’s going to stand out like a sore thumb. He must be frustrated, not just angry at his friend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment